HOLIDAY SAFETY TIPS FOR YOUR PETS
Holidays are a time when there are lots of unusual foods and decorations in your home. These can be irresistible to pets! Because no one wants to have to head to the ER Vet when they should be celebrating, here are some safety tips to keep everyone safe and sound.
- Keep people food out of reach of your pet. Rich foods can cause GI issues and some foods like chocolate, grapes/raisins, and even onions can be toxic to pets.
- Don’t leave your pet alone in a room with lit candles.
- Be careful with holiday plants like holly, mistletoe or poinsettias because they can be poisonous if ingested.
- Consider leaving the tinsel off of your tree if you have a cat. Cats are drawn to dangly, shiny things and could ingest the tinsel, causing lots of problems. Hang orange peels in the lower branches of the tree to deter your cats from climbing (many cats don’t like the smell of orange!)
- If you are going to have guests over, always provide a safe place for your dog or cat to escape. Too much merriment can be stressful for some pets!
- Make sure to dispose of the mesh wrappers that come on meats and cheeses that arrive as gifts. They smell delicious but can cause intestinal blockage if your dog eats them out of the trash!
Be diligent in considering how various items could pose risks and take steps to avoid issues and you and your furry family can have a safe, enjoyable holiday together.
Even though your dog may feel he’s not having ANY holiday fun, here’s a safe recipe to top off the celebration with your pups.
NATURE’S LOGIC PUMPKIN PEANUT BUTTER SNACKS
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup canned Nature’s Logic Pumpkin Puree
2 Tablespoons Nature’s Logic Peanut Butter or Peanut Butter with Hemp Seed Oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Step 2: Whisk together the flour, eggs, pumpkin puree, peanut butter, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl. Add water as needed to help make the dough workable, but the dough should be dry and stiff. Roll the dough into a 1/2-inch-thick roll. Cut into 1/2-inch square pieces.
Step 3: Bake in preheated oven until hard, about 40 minutes.
Thanks to ALLRECIPES for the inspiration for this delicious concoction (we just used our products)!